Saturday, May 18, 2013

46 Madhubani Border Designs

While on a trip in Ludhiana, I drew Madhubani border designs in a hotel room - so much fun!  These designs are like  43 Madhubani Border Designs that I made while copying other people's borders in order to learn.  I just really enjoy drawing simple designs. If I have used your design on my blog and if you'd like me to write your name below, please contact me and I will give the necessary credits.

ABOUT THESE DRAWINGS

Materials used: permanent marker (black), handmade paper, pencils and crayons. The colors are unchanged, the tone might vary, the design proportions may also vary.

BASIC LINEAR DESIGNS:

A simple and yet sophisticated double outline red border design

A linear black and red simple design that looks classy

A lovely graphic red design with the "frill" on the bottom

An unusual and subtle orange design with loads of white space 

A traditional Bihari border design

Cute and curly black and white border design

Super simple blue border design with four outlines

Uncomplicated and very powerful border design

Super traditional and common Madhubani border design

TRIANGULAR DESIGNS:

                                
Lovely and earthly triangle design with four outlines

Simple and traditional double triangle design

Very nice and creative multicolored triangle border

Lovely blue triangle border design

Orange triangle border design

Unusual-because-green triangle border design
Slightly time consuming red triangle and flower design
                                
Amazing classy black and white triangle design

Teeth-like traditional orange and red triangle design

Cool blue and red raindrop triangle design with creative tops


LEAF AND PETAL DESIGNS:

                               
A very common but recommended leave design

Super creative multicolored leave and triangle with dots design

Multicolored heart-like petal design

Simple yet effective orange and red leave design
Black and white petal design

Olive green and terracotta petal design with vertical lines 

Eye-like leave design with the red middle

RHOMBUS DESIGNS:

                                
An extremely interesting repeating rhombus design

Traditional and cheerful red and yellow rhombus design

Ancient cards-like green and red rhombus design that looks pretty cool

Unusually complicated border design that looks like printed

An interesting motif of a Krishna's flute that could be used as a border (from the same artists as above)

CIRCULAR DESIGNS:

                               
Black and yellow circular design

Multicolored fish-eye border design

Simple balls design

VERTICAL DESIGNS:

                               
An interesting and modern vertical designs with green triangles

My super favorite vertical olive green and kingfisher blue simple design

A common blue and red vertical design

FLOWER DESIGNS:

A warmth tribal flower design (original was made by pens)

Simple and common olive green and red lily flower design


A powerful and traditional red and black lotus flower design

Multicolored innocent fruits design that suits Krishna in the forest theme

WAVY DESIGNS:

A wavy bell flower design

A very simple wavy black and white border design that looked breathtaking in the colorful painting

ANIMAL DESIGN: 

A beautiful tribal fish design in blue


14 comments:

Mayank said...

Including this article,I read your complete piece of work your blog and youtube.Oh My God! You are such a phenomenal writer and a prolific artist.Every design, every art is a jewel in itself.Goddess Saraswati has given you great wisdom.Great Respect :)
How do you manage to do all this?
Regards

CrazyLassi said...

Hello, Mayank! Your comment was a little flattering! How do I manage to do all this? I just love the process of all this. It's like an exercise for the mind and soul - I have to do something from time to time. I guess I will also have to thank goddess Saraswati for inspiring me :)

Soul Food and More said...

Amazing !!!

CrazyLassi said...

Thanks! :)

Deepti Trivedi said...

How inspiring!! Now I feel like doing it myself, atleast a couple for my walls. Could you please tell me what colors you have used for the bright paintings? I would love mine to be as bright as yours. Thanks so much for the blog.

CrazyLassi said...

Hi dt, thanks for the comment!I have used acrylic fabric colors on my walls as well as on paper and on the fabric. It's called "Fevicryl Hobby Ideas Acrylic Colors", it comes in bottles and you can buy it in every stationary shop in India. One bottle costs about 18 rs.

Deepti Trivedi said...

Thanks :) . Another question, do you outline first or in the end with black marker? If you do in the end, then do you draw with pencil/pen in the beginning? If you do it in the beginning, then doesn't it get mixed with the acrylic/poster color and lose the effect? Thanks again.

CrazyLassi said...

Hey dt, I draw my drawings straight with the black marker and never use pencil. Then I carefully try to fit the acrylic colors in with the 000, 00 or 0 size brush. Sometimes the color comes on top of the outline and then I have to outline that part again later. I also repeat the outline for the objects that I want to stand out such as the main figures of the tree. For the clean look, one might need to apply the second layer of black marker after the painting is over but that takes a lot of time. It's best to be careful when coloring in the beginning. :) PS That's why I like permanent marker over the ink because ink is not water proof. It can get smudgy. No, the pencil wouldn't be visible as acrylic is rather thick, but of course, depends on how visible is the pencil line. If you used 6B or 8B soft drawing pencil then the line might be visible. If HB or 2B etc - then it's OK.

Unknown said...

Hi ,

you inspired me a lot. I am a working lady with no madhubani art training. and I ve started painting watching at your videos and blogs .. :)

CrazyLassi said...

Dear Amrita, thanks for your comment! I am very happy to hear that! This was the goal of this blog - to give a hint for those who are just starting out with Madhubani. Madhubani is an extremely pleasant pastime as well as art and it doesn't have many blogs on it. Glad to hear you've started painting! Have fun with it and share your paintings on your blog! :)

Tejashree said...

Hi
Your paintings are very inspiring and I've started doing a lot of madhubani paintings. Like you said, it's a beautiful art form but it usually doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Could you tell me a little bit about the paper you use and where you source it from?
Thanks!

CrazyLassi said...

Hey Tejashree, the paper I buy is just a simple "handmade paper" that can be bought in a stationary shop that sells art materials in India. Sometimes it's even available in a normal stationary shop. I simply ask for a "handmade paper" and they give me almost the same one all the time. When buying I would advice to simply look for a handmade paper that is soft and easy to draw on with your ink or marker. If it will have loads of bumps and straws on it's surface, you won't be able to draw good lines. Also try to avoid shiny paper or covered with some slippery substance on top as that will prevent the paint from being well absorbed in paper. Simply look for a soft brownish paper (or white, if you like) that could have a smooth surface.

Anonymous said...

beautiful

Anonymous said...

GR8

Post a Comment